Friday, August 2, 2013

The good, the bad and the ugly of vodka

We may review some higer-end vodkas in the future, but were going to be sticking with mid shelf (to low shelf with the bad and ugly) for these reviews because we know that affordability is a must in this kind of economy. 

The good.

1. Stolichnaya. This is my go-to vodka, It will always be a favorite of mine, it's affordable at around $20 a bottle, its clean, smooth and has the perfect buildup of heat for my taste. It comes in different flavors now such as blueberry and strawberry, but I prefer the original, I think other flavors just take away from the pure taste.

2. Kai vodka. This vodka is a definite close second. Its got a silky, oily texture, and with its immensely smooth yet flovorful taste, it goes down quite easily. Ths one may be difficult to find as it comes from vietnam, it's priced around $25

3. Finlandia. this vodka surprised me, it's always just been that one I pass by and say, "huh...cool bottle" but when I finally decided to pick it up, it became one of my favorites. while it's got a little more bite than stolichnaya, It also has a little more of a velvety, slightly silky texture. Chilled, it would bring out that texture even more and reduce that bite. priced around $25-$30

I will not be including prices from this point forward, in the hopes that your not actually planning on buying these.

The bad.

3. Pinnacle. this is basically a novelty/party vodka, having crazy flavors like cookie dough, cake, cotton candy. The flavors are pretty accurate, but as for quality of the vodka itself...theres little to none.

4. Smirnoff. It's definitely not quality vodka, and has swayed many a consumer to think "vodka is gross and only useful for mixing with orange juice and getting drunk". vodka is an art...and some people just don't know how to paint.

5. Skyy. this vodka is mixable...but just has way too much unnecessary bite and charcoal flavor for my taste.

The ugly.

6. Gran legacy. Never...ever...buy vodka from this company...unless you need a little help vomiting.
Theres actually a joke that circles the internet about how the company is so poor that it couldn't afford the "d" in "grand" and after tasting their stuff...I honestly think that could be the case.

7. UV. This probably ranks 3 on top worst vodkas I've had, I tried mixing it with some juices, but honestly it doesn't help unless the juice to vodka ratio is about 4/1.

8. Fleichmann's royal vodka. It's hard to differentiate between this and Gran legacy, I literally couldn't breath after spitting this stuff out, thats not natural.



-J

No comments:

Post a Comment